Thursday, October 13, 2011

Recipe for Sugar Cookies.

Today has been a great day!  I got to sleep in because David woke up with Milo this morning.  He's actually been getting up with him for the past week.  I'm so lucky to have such a great man in my life!
I hung around the house for about an hour when I woke up then played on the computer while feeding Milo.  Afterwards it was nap time for David and baby so they laid on the couch while I started making homemade sugar cookies!  I made the dough and put it in the fridge to chill.  David left for work early because he wanted to get his hair cut and I started on the dishes.  About 3 or so hours later I got the dough out and started rolling it out on the table and used my Halloween cookies cutters that I got at a Liquidation Outlet for a whooping $0.50!!!
I only had 2 mishaps today.  The first crumby thing that happened was, when I was washing dishes my cell phone was on the counter next to the sink and it got wet and died on me.  I didn't even know till hours later but it dried out and started right up! :) Yay!
The second crumby thing was, Milo and I were playing in the bedroom and he grabbed my face and stuck one of his fingers in my left nostril and ripped it out really fast and of course scratching the inside of it and gave me a bloody nose.  I didn't even realize that he had scratched me that hard until my nose was dripping blood.  I've never had a bloody nose in my life and the first time I get one it was giving to me by a baby!  Really now?  The up side to this story is that it didn't bleed very long and I didn't get blood on anything!  Yay again!
I warn all new mothers though, just because your baby is cute and cuddly like a puppy don't be fooled because they have retractable claws like kitty cats!

Did anyone know that tonight is a Harvest Moon?
Once my phone came back on I got a million voice mails and text messages and one of the messages was David telling me to go outside and look at it.  Isn't he the sweetest?  Don't be jealous you know he is!
It was weird turning my phone on earlier and getting all those missed calls and texts.  The reason for being so weird is because I NEVER get calls and messages unless they're from David when he's at work.  Just figures I become so popular when my phone is off on a fritz.  hahaha Oh well it was like a big surprise of love all at once.

I feel like I'm forgetting to mention something else but I can't remember so I'll get on with the cookie recipe.

I found a recipe online and made some adjustments to it so yes... I am going to claim it as my own.
This was the first time I've ever made homemade sugar cookies and I think they turned out wonderfully!


Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup Margarine (Country Crock)
1 Cup Sugar
2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Large Egg
2 1/4 Cup Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Powder

Directions:

  • 1) In a medium bowl, mix the butter and margarine together.  Don't melt it!  Mix it at room tempature or slightly chilled.  (Mine was slightly chilled.)
  • 2) Add sugar, mix together.  
  • 3) Add vanilla and egg, mix together.  
  • 4) Add your baking soda and baking powder and mix.  
  • 5) Slowly add your flour and mix well each time you add more. (I hand mix everything.)
  • 6) Chill your dough for 3 - 4 hours. (I chilled mine 2 hours in the fridge and 1 hour in the freezer.)
  • 7) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  • 8) Oil your cookie sheet, (I take a paper towel and rub margarine all over it.)
  • 9) Take your flour and dust your flat surface that you'll be using to roll out the dough, (I use my kitchen table because the bigger your space the easier it'll be.)
  • 10) Grab a big blob of dough, mush it together into a ball (doesn't have to be perfect, remember the more you work your dough the warm/softer it'll be and you want it to remain as chilled as possible.)
  • 11) Lightly dust your dough with flour, (helps it from sticking to your surface.)
  • 12) Dust your rolling pin, (same reason, it helps it from sticking.)
  • 13)Start in the middle of your dough and lightly push the dough in all directions, (don't "push" down on the dough, you'll be surprised how well it flattens it's self.)
  • 14) Take your desired cookie cutter and cut out your shapes and bake them in the oven for 10 minutes.
  • 15) When you take out the cookies let them set for about 6 or so minutes (until they feel cool enough to touch.)

Repeat steps 8 thru 15 until your dough is all used up.
(I like to take a paper towel and wipe off the cookie crumbs that are left behide once you take them off the cookie sheet and re-oil your cookie sheet each and everytime.)

Icing:
I cheated on the icing, I bought vanilla cake icing and spooned it out into a small pot and warmed it on the stove until it was liquid.  I used a non-stick pot and the lowest setting on the stove top because if it gets to hot to fast it clums up and hardens.  Very gross and hard to clean!)  When your icing is melted pour it into a small bowl and use food coloring to dye it your desired color.  Then I used a teaspoon to scoop a little bit of the icing and spread it over the cookies.
Well there that is  I hope ya'll enjoy! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment